I have been inspired, by life, to share.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Meet the Parents: Again

My dahling is a Mama's boy. Not the irritating emasculating kind. The sweet, adorable, "of course, she brought you into this world" kind. And his Mama is a boy's mama. She has three. No girls. Mmmm Hmmm...ladies you know what I mean.

The first time I met her, my dahling had the nerve to bring me to his parent's house unannounced at night. He immediately thrusts me into one of the most uncomfortable situations I can remember being a part of.

I mean everything about this situation was all wrong. We enter the house (must've been around 9 or 10pm) his mother is relaxing...no let me be more clear....LAID OUT on the sofa watching television. He, my dahling, proceeds to give the most depressingly nonchalant introduction I have ever been on the other end of. (Let me just clarify...this occurrence took place BEFORE we were officially together or serious about the relationship because at any other time this would be a sure sign that "He's just not that into you" :)...I digress)

The introduction went a little something like this..."Heymathisiskc...I'mmagotakeashower."

AND...HE...LEFT...ME. Left me with is mother who was not expecting company, who probably had a long day at work and just wanted to watch her Boston Public in peace.

Now, if any of you know me well, you know that I'm not a big talker when I don't know someone. I'm not the type to strike up a conversation with a stranger. And if they strike up one with me it's probably going to be a bit one-sided if I'm not in an "open" mood.

N E way, He left me there with his mother and we just sat there. She watched her television show and I watched her watch her television show (The TV was in an awkward position opposed to me). I didn't want to say anything or disturb her, I mean, she wasn't expecting me to be there. And she definitely didn't say anything to me.

After that I'd see his mother in passing but never a one on one situation. I talked with one of his brother's ex-girlfriends and she told me it took years before she would say much of anything to her. Then, I new what kind of mother I was dealing with. I just concluded and became ok with the idea that it was just gonna take time, cuz I didn't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

So Yesterday...
It was my dahling's birthday and I'm invited to dinner with his family. His mother asks me to come along. So, I'm thinking ok...I can do that family dinner...that's cool. I'm thinking his brother, his nephew, a few close friends...sounds like fun.....

uh yeah...how bout it. We pull up to the Charter House in Alexandria (very nice... on the water) and I'm like "is everybody waiting on us?" and he's like "everybody?" He proceeds to point at TWO figures standing in the distance. And I'm like..."it's just us?! You didn't tell me that!" He starts giggling 'n' crap talking bout some "gotcha!...this is payback for all the times I've been uncomfortable over your parents' house." So, as we continue to walk, I'm trying to get myself into "the intimate setting mode for parents." And was abruptly taken aback when his mother greets me with a hug and an "its so nice to see you again KC!"

Whoa!
I'm thinking..."did they already start drinking?" Needless to say there was more conversation going on between myself and his mother than our initial meeting.

(I'd just like to take this moment to thank a few people............................................... God, Oprah, and my mother. If it wasn't for them we would've had nothing to talk about.) And it was actually quite entertaining and I really enjoyed their company. So, we ended the evening and my dahling's mother made an effort to give out hugs and kisses upon our departure.

It was a true marking of the growth in our relationship.

P.S. Notice there wasn't much mention of the father in the equation. That's because as most of you already know...he doesn't matter. You know what I mean. The mother is the head honcho. She gives the thumbs up or thumbs down...just like in the gladiator movies. Do I die or do I live.
I think I'm still in the game, people. I'm still alive!

6 Comments:

Blogger T.a.c.D said...

you are stoopid as hell!!! Dag where was my thanks...I mean geesh I gave the pre-game prep talk....LOL...I knew it would be aiight...you are good peoples, you went in ready to be social and that makes all the difference in the world....HELLO!

March 27, 2007 at 3:35 PM

 
Blogger K.C. said...

T.C.:thanks for the prep...but I must say your pregame was no match for that parental double date. You prepped me for the round table discussion, not the interview!

March 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM

 
Blogger T.a.c.D said...

yea man that's true...but hey I could have HAD we both been properly informed of the REAL deal...LOL

March 28, 2007 at 10:47 AM

 
Blogger jendayi said...

LOL. I enjoyed reading this. I'm glad you got through it.

March 28, 2007 at 4:27 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL ....I was just browing the Beyonce blog and I came across this...You want to hear some embrassing meet the parents stories...remind me the next time I see you. This is nothing...needless to say I am being pimped!

April 4, 2007 at 9:45 PM

 
Blogger It is What It Is... said...

Girl - this was too funny! Geeze! "Meeting the Parents" is the worst...Any yes - you are so right...the mother is the HEAD HONCHO...

April 30, 2007 at 9:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home